Tuesday, January 20, 2009

tick tock

I want kids. I’ve had a sneaking suspicion that this was the case for some time now, but this weekend really proved it to me. The Wickhams came to visit and they have the cutest almost-3 year old I’ve ever had the privilege of hanging out with. Maybe it was the way she curled up in my arms, or the way she said “I duve you” before walking over to the wall to examine my collection of fish-related art work one more time. Even when she was screaming, I loved her. I asked my new roomie if we could get one, but she said we should probably try a dog first. She’s so smart.

So, yeah, my dating life is probably not going to improve anytime soon. I’ll try really hard to not be one of those psychos who’s all like, “Give me a baby now!” but we all know how good I am at playing it cool. (I flunked that class in case you didn’t know).

Speaking of things that are cool, I need to give some serious props to new roomie Patty. Not only did she help me pack, but she also painted my bedroom for me. I tried to express my gratitude by buying her dinner and giving her a shoutout on Facebook, but I’m not sure that really conveyed the totality of my appreciation. The funny thing is that we didn’t have anything to stand on, so there’s still a border of TigetBeat and Unicorn pink along the top of my walls. Maybe I’ll finish it or maybe I’ll just leave it. I’m pretty short so it’s not like I look at the tops of my walls that often anyway.

My new ‘hood goes by the name of Lincoln Square. Once the tundra gives way to some greenery it’ll be tons o’ fun to walk around and visit all the little stores and restaurants and pubs and bars and other places that serve libations. Until then, I’m just ecstatic that I live across the street from the “L” (even though my station is technically at ground level) and rarely have to go outside for anything. Which is pretty much the crux of my problem. See, I am far too content to stay home and watch TV, or go to a bar and only talk to people I already know. And then I wonder why I don’t have as many friends here as I do in b-lo. Granted, I am ridiculously picky when it comes to choosing people worthy of my time, but there has to be a way for an elitist like me to meet some more acceptable folk. Who hopefully have cute, single male friends who want kids, too.

No comments: