Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Stuff on My Mind...

Gay rights. Right to be gay. I really think it's time for some of that. Or, preferably, all of that. I remember so clearly November 2008 - we, as a nation, finally elected a President that wasn't white. And I was so proud of us, and the US, for being able to look past someone's skin and elect them based on their brain. I still get teary thinking about that. In retrospect, the citizens that voted for Obama were probably the type of people who were never too concerned with skin color to begin with, but at least now there's more of us than them. Or something.

But I digress...

I'd like to be proud of my country again. I want to be able to hug random people and say "We're a nation I'm proud of!" But I really can't do that until all of my neighbors and friends and family and strangers and whoever else has the same rights as me. I've got it easy, and I know that. I'm straight and as soon as I find the right guy for me I get to marry the heck out of him. And I want everyone else to be able to do that too.

I have to admit, the amount of influence that the Christian doctrine has on our country really pisses me off. REALLY PISSES ME OFF. Last I checked, we're a democracy. So as far as I'm concerned, religion should never be discussed in government. Just not at all. Except to say, "Yep, we're still letting people practice whatever they want, that's cool."

I digress a lot.

I really don't know what the idiots, and if you're against gay rights you are an idiot, are afraid of, but I do know that it makes me sad and angry that in 2013 this is still a discussion. Let people get married, regardless of who they want to marry. Not only is it long overdue, and the only appropriate action, but I also really want to go to their weddings. They'll probably be fabulous.

No comments: