Wednesday, February 06, 2008

at least i'm still laughing...

which may prove i'm insane. before i even stepped foot into my new apartment i slipped on some ice, dropped my cat and suitcase and ass-planted myself on the ground. and my ankle hurt. and then it swelled. and after i was done crying and otherwise being way too girly for my own good, i went to the ER. such a nice ER it was! the woman next to me whose son also hurt her ankle heard me complaining on my cell, which i was not supposed to be on, about how hungry i was and how all i wanted was a snickers, so she went and got me a snickers! and the really cute resident with the hot accent was kind enough to not look grossed out when he saw my non-pedicured toes. i was so embarrassed. i know the ol' addage is "always wear clean underwear in case you're in a car accident" (and i do!) but i really think "keep your toes pretty in case you sprain your ankle" is going to be a new motto for me.

they also gave me vicodin for my ankle. now, i have to say, this stuff is lame. not only does it not give me the cool high i've heard about, but it also doesn't do anything for the pain. i think i'm going to sell it and then stay "on vacation" for a while longer. know any buyers?

then, to add to the fun, when i did get in my apartment, i didn't have a fridge (i have one now). i also can't get into the building cause my access card doesn't work, but they're apparently working on that one. i've been told that if i keep taking what chi-town dishes out, it'll eventually stop being a jackass and start being welcoming. anytime now would be fine by me.

other than that, things are ok. furniture isn't here yet, and i kinda hope it doesn't come until next week cause i can't get a money order until then and they won't let me have my furniture then anyway. on the other hand, i'd love to have my stuff now cause i really want to settle in this place and make it homey. that's a desire i never had at my last place (clearly) but this is different. i like it here. both the city and my pad. it's still incredibly weird to me to think that i live here and aren't just going home in a few days. it's snowing and it's really pretty, so i think i'm going to gimp around and take some pics, or go take a nap. either way.

but all in all, it'll work out. just so long as my withdrawal from "lost" doesn't kill me first...

3 comments:

calanan said...

Gah, what a way to start your stay! Get well.

Greg said...

Enjoy your hard-fought new city! In case you were wondering, it still sucks in Buffalo.

The Humanist said...

If it makes you feel any better, the gas cap door on my brother's car froze over and he ran out of gas looking for a Delta Sonic to get some warm water.

Viva Buffalo!